Saturday, February 23, 2019

A New Heart and a New Stomach

When I began really walking this road, I went to the Gospel Coalition's Women's Conference.  We spent the weekend studying Deuteronomy.  In Deuteronomy, the circumcision of the heart comes up:

"And the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live."
-Deuteronomy 30:6

As I walked through this process I found myself wondering, how much of my weight and health problems were my fault.  How could I do this and seemingly take the easy way out?  Here's the thing, when we talk about the sin in my life and my need for a Savior, my need for a circumcision of the heart, my sin is completely my fault.  My sin is my problem and I deserve hell for rebelling against my creator, the Holy God.  BUT GOD...He doesn't leave me in my sin, He sent Jesus to die in my place.  He took my punishment.  He took my heart of stone and made it a heart of flesh.

With my surgery, I felt like God gave me this as a picture of what I needed.  I have a lot of underlying health issues, health issues that I can't fix despite my efforts.  The same way I needed a righteousness from outside of myself to make me righteous, I needed health from outside of me.  I couldn't fix my health. I needed a circumcision of the stomach so to speak.  I needed a big part of it cut away so I could regain health.  I couldn't do it on my own.

Getting this surgery required humility to say, "I can't do this on my own.  I need help.  I need a health from outside of me to come cut away what I can not fix on my own."

Thank you, Jesus for a new heart and a new stomach.  You give me life, and health.  It all comes from you.  Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A New Heart and a New Stomach

When I began really walking this road, I went to the Gospel Coalition's Women's Conference.  We spent the weekend studying Deuterono...